Lifestyle not "Die"t




Today was our first weigh in, and I lost 5lbs in the past two weeks. I am happy with my results especially considering I took last weekend off and headed to Vail. A much needed and deserved trip, planned since Christmas. We did snowshoe and spend 4 hours on the hill, managed 12 lifts and 17,480 vertical ft. but we also ate: bread, butter, escargot (more butter), pizza, hamburgers, tuna tartare, tuna tacos, tuna poke, and beer (lots of beer). All the things I miss and crave from my former home.

This competition has given me an amazing opportunity to meet with a nutritionist twice. I have the hardest time with nutrition. I hate the word diet, I mean it starts with DIE. So I am trying to embrace a lifestyle change. I am going to take the next two weeks, starting Sunday, and eliminate wheat and dairy. I want to investigate how being gluten free makes me feel, and as much I love cheese I know it doesn't make me feel great. I am also reading the "The Wahl's Protocol"  a book I found out about because of my friend Mark Gunnells blog post. Her TedX talk is linked in his blog and is definitely worth checking out.

I feel like I know how to eat healthy, but I struggle with making good choices consistently. Today I wanted cheetos, so I ate them (I did log them and weigh them). It was interesting because when I finished my bowl I wasn't the least bit satisfied. I wasn't upset about eating them, but I was left with this weird unsatisfied feeling. I am taking it as a lesson. I need to really decide if I want to eat something just because I think I want it. Or something like that. I am still trying to figure this all out.

I am trying to make sure that I am not eating out of boredom. I feel that for the last two weeks I haven't had a moment to need to worry about this. Today I was up at 6:30 am and getting ready for a 5k, then I headed to the gym and had weigh in and a group workout. I got home and needed to eat lunch and had to put my 2 yr old down for a nap. It was the first time I have been able to nap since this started, and it was nice. After nap I had some rare quiet down time and that was when the Cheetos incident happened. It was definitely eating out of boredom. I am not beating myself up about it, and at least it was a conscious decision. I just have this desire to fuel my body with food that is full of nutrients not filler. Lesson learned.

I have also decided that I am ready to add running back into my workout regimen. My foot is feeling better and I am ready to ease in. I am running the BolderBoulder 10k on Memorial Day and I want a PR. I want to finish under an hour. I was 64 min last year, so close. I am ready!

Here most of us are post Group work out today, it was a tough one!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Dare to Lose Participant Bio

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly