Down, but not out! An injury won't keep me sidelined.

This last week has been a challenge. I didn't see the scale budge, I ended up with only a two lb loss for two weeks. Then at the group work out after the weigh in I pulled my calf (medial head of gastrocnemius). I was killing that work out too, with an average hr of 155, it was a calorie torcher. I was really warmed up, but it pulled as I sprinted.
Had to stop and ice immediately; not sure which was more painful watching the workout or the pull. 
I admit I have not been stretching post workout. This is a lesson, follow the advice I give to 90% of my massage clients! This really scared me. Not just the pain, but wondering what it was going to mean for my weight loss and my workouts. I am so fortunate to be part of Miramont's Dare to Lose program, I know that I have support so that I don't have to sit out. 

Part of this program is being on a team, and our team captains are DJ's through Town Square Media. My DJ is Paul Wozniak of Tri-102.5. At the end of our workout on Saturday he addressed our group with some really encouraging comments. As I was not the only contestant with ice by the end of the workout, he told us to not be discouraged by the minor setbacks that injuries present, but to consider them as part of being in the game. It is better to be in the game then never have started. I really appreciated the comments, he was right. It was good to be reminded of those things so as not to leave the workout in a dark place, but to understand that it will be alright. 

I left the workout and hobbled to Walgreen's for an ace wrap and an ice bag, then to Natural Grocers for some homeopathic Arnica as well as some to Arnica Oil. Arnica is a natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
I got home and started icing for 20 min every hour, and wrapped my calf as soon as I was done icing.  I also took a nap, as it seemed to fit in with the rest idea. 

I had an event that night, and I had to go. I brought my ice bag with me, and sat with my leg on ice most of the night. I was happy that I could wear a dress that I have had in my closet for the last 12 years.
Looking Fierce! Gatsby theme party.
I woke up on Sunday, and it felt a little better but was still really sore. I am fortunate to have a friend, Desiree Bukovsky, who works for Brookdale Therapy. She is a physical therapist, and offered to help me. She did an evaluation, ultrasound, and gave me advice about running shoes as well as strengthening exercises and a gentle stretching timeline. I am so thankful for her assistance, as my pain was greatly decreased after seeing her. I could even walk without pain after our session, and felt relieved that I only had a minor strain.  

I had 90 minutes of  workouts on Monday, and am happy to say the my awesome trainer Ethan made it possible for me to do everything necessary. Through our hour team fitness class my calf actually warmed up and felt better. I did ice as soon as I got home, and tried to rest a little as well. 

I can tell that my legs are super tired from using the spin bike as cardio yesterday, so I am taking it easy today so that I don't make this injury worse. I am trying to be very mindful of my diet so that I can still have a loss this week. I am hopeful that I will be ready to do some light jogging by next week. I am just trying not to push it too hard. 

I may have to be mindful for the rest of this competition, but I do not have to sit out! It really is better to have to face the adversity of an injury, then to have never gotten off the couch. There are ways to keep moving and burning even when injured, yet another reason to use a personal trainer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Dare to Lose Participant Bio

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly