Dare to Lose Participant Bio

I have been accepted as one of six finalists for a  three month weight loss competition in my community. It is a partnership between Town Square Media, Inc. and Miramont Lifestyle Fitness. I feel absolutely blessed to have been chosen, and I intend to make the most of this amazing opportunity. This post is an effort to satisfy the participant biography component.

We will be judged by three factors: 40% will be based on body fat lost, 30% will be change in waist to hip ratio, and 30% for percentage of total weight lost. The top three will win: 1st place 1 year premier membership, 2nd place 6 mos. premier membership, and 3rd place 3 mos. premier membership. The other three hopefully walk away with a new perspective and a healthier mind and body. The way I see it, it's a win-win situation.

I applied to be part of this program because I have been working toward getting healthy for the last four years (I was pregnant shortly after I began and that kind of slowed things down). I have worked really hard in the two years since my son was born. I ran my first 13.1 race and then a second, finished a sprint triathlon (on a mountain bike), and participated in a 34 mi bike ride. These accomplishments helped me to shed 50 lbs. However, I haven't seen much change in the last year. I feel like I made a huge breakthrough on my own, but I have hit a serious plateau. This program offers the help I need to finally reach the goal I set in the beginning as well as allowing me to reach for new ones like running my first marathon.

I want to run faster and farther, train smarter, and adopt a healthy eating plan for me and my family. I feel that these are the areas that I am going to require the most assistance. I have motivation, and am willing to put in the sweat and tears, but "nobody makes me bleed my own blood" that is where I draw the line!

Running a marathon is something that even a year ago I wouldn't have thought was possible, but I finally feel that I have the support I need to undertake the training. I haven't signed up for one yet, but I am hoping that this program will give me the courage. I have signed up to run my third half marathon this August, and I would really like to finish in 2 hrs. My last goal for the year has to do with photography. I would like to have a family portrait done for my 40th birthday in January. We have never had one done, partly because I still don't like the way I look on film.

When I undertook this challenge so many years ago I had no idea how much it would change every area of my life. I was not truly aware of how my weight was effecting my self esteem, my personality, and even my marriage. I only began to notice as my self image started improving. I yearn to have my confidence completely returned, and to like the way I look in every picture. I feel that because of this opportunity it will! (Watch out world, here I come!)

My family is the most important thing in my life. I began getting healthy for them. I stated in my last post that my motivation for this is that I never want my kids to hear me say "I'm fat", and that is true, but it would be even better if I never even thought it! I want my family to be proud of me, more than that, to be inspired to reach beyond their comfort zones. I want my children to know that you can achieve great things if you put in the effort.

We will kick off the program this Saturday, and I will meet my team members. I am looking forward to this with a bit of trepidation. The last time I had my body fat measured I was in significantly better shape and 15 years younger. For some reason I am more worried about that then the public weigh in. Oh well, if you don't where you are starting how will you ever get to the end? 

A friend recently posted the following quote:

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life?” 
― Mary Oliver

I plan on living it to the fullest by constantly finding new challenges to tackle. 



Comments

  1. Love you, girl! You got this!! So proud of you for so many things, and love, love, love the spirit you put into everything you do. Love that you manage to bring me to tears every week - through laughter, commiseration, or something touching you say or do. And now I have to read this damn, tear-jerking blog every day. Hahaha! You are beautiful, and can't wait until you see/feel/know that... 100%... in every reflection, and every sensation, of that rockin' hot, healthy body you're building! Mwah! -k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe. Gee, thanks. I am so fortunate to have your warrior spirit in my corner. Love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...I can hardly compete with Kim's wise and enthusiastic words...but I will say this: I completely believe in you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That brought tears to my eyes! Speechless

      Delete
  4. Dear Sarah....I have enjoyed reading your blog so far and look forward to more. I too started a healthier life style but I only began that this year, I have lost a few pounds but have gained a better understanding of aging (hehehe) and my own limitation. I am motivated by your statement about not having your children ever hear you say you are fat...My kids have been very supportive of my attempts to lose weight but they are all underweight and don't get it. Keep sharing and best of luck...you have encouraged me with just your words and pictures...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do the best we can in every moment, I am embracing that mantra. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I look forward to hearing about your successes too!

      Delete
  5. I'll be cheering you on! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly